Think of a time when you or someone you know used informal language in a situation where formal language may have been more appropriate. What happened? Looking back, what could have been said differently, and what did the situation teach you about choosing your words carefully?
Prompt Response: A time when someone used informal language was when my friend emailed her chemistry teacher and the email was nowhere near being formal in any way. It was written as if she was texting a friend and then she showed me how her teacher displayed it infront of the whole class. I don't know how the teacher reacted because it's someone from a Gwinnett school, but I'm sure it wasn't in a good way. Maybe she could've started off the email with "I hope your day is going well, I was wondering when you would be able to put in my test grade so it can boost my grade up and encourage my parents to let me go out." I feel like that wouldv'e been better than "Hey fren I was wondering if you could put my grade in so I can hang out w the huzz this week." The situation taught me that writing emails definitely requires formal writing and shouldn't be written as if it were you texting a friend.
Summary: We learned about informal and formal language and when we need to use formal language.
Reflection: I learned that formal writing should not include contractions. I didn't know that was counted as informal writing and would always use it when writing formal papers.
Comments
Post a Comment